Market Alert March 8th, 2019: Who’s Right? The Stock Market or the Bond Market?
As a firm that specializes in Retirement Planning, our two goals for you are:
- For you to have Financial Peace of Mind and
- For Your Money to Last As Long As You Do.
Our investment philosophy of Buy, Hold, and PROTECT! is designed to give us Unlimited Upside with a Tolerable Downside.
The U.S. Added a Meager 20,000 Jobs in February 2019
According to MarketWatch, economists were expecting 179,000 new jobs added in February 2019. The US economy is one of the few economies that has been growing, but the global slowdown may be starting to take effect here at home.
The Federal Reserve said that they would be “data dependent” going forward on their decisions regarding interest rates. The weak February jobs report will likely keep the Fed from raising interest rates until at least their September meeting, a MarketWatch survey of economists said.
China Saw a 20% Drop in February 2019 Exports
The Chinese government reported that their exports fell 20% in February after having risen by 9.1% in January. Even if you add the two together, it appears that the world’s second-largest economy is slowing down quickly.
So much of the emerging countries’ economies depend on China’s growth that it is easy to see why many economies around the world are slowing down or falling into recession.
Given the weak February jobs report and the drop in Chinese exports, it would not surprise us to see the S&P 500 Index revisit its lows of last year. Should this happen, the big question would be, do the losses stop here, or keep going?
If you are not a client of Money Matters, we want to visit with you! Let us worry about all this so that you don’t have to.
- Do you know if you have enough money to retire on?
- Do you have a plan for what to do when the next market crash comes?
- What are 5 strategies that you can use to reduce your income taxes?
- How do you plan for your retirement cash flow?
- What should you do to maximize your Social Security benefits?
- Are you diversified the way you should be?
Look at the chart below:
Does Drop in Rates Signal an Economic Slowdown? Ken Moraif Weighs In
I would like to invite you to come to one of our seminars. They are designed for those of you who are retired or retiring soon, and they are free.
At the free retirement seminar we will answer these burning questions:
- How do I protect my retirement from the next market crash?
- How do I avoid three basic “pitfalls” of retirement distribution planning?
- Am I on track to be able to retire?
- When should I take Social Security? 62? 66? 70?
- Am I diversified the way I should be?
- How much can I afford to spend during my retirement?
- How can I fight inflation?
- How do I determine how much risk is appropriate for me?
- Do I take my pension or a lump?
- How do I avoid having 85% of my social security getting taxed?
- Should I rollover my 401(k)?
- How do I reduce my income taxes in the future?
- Is It Safe Yet To Go Back In?
- How To Plan For A Natural Disaster
- How To File For Spousal Social Security
- Buy Hold Myth #4: Diversify & You Are Done
- Estate Tip: How To Disinherit Someone
We believe that the risk that we have today is different than anything we have had in history.
The hundreds of trillions of dollars of global debt put a significant strain on government’s ability to do anything about the next recession. In fact, we see all of this debt exacerbating the effects of any economic slowdown. The worst recessions that we have had around the world have mostly been the results of governments taking on too much debt.
It is our singular goal to keep our clients from becoming poor. Preserving the wealth that they have built is job number one for us. I encourage you to join the Money Matters family!
I believe that avoiding large losses is the single most important thing that we should be concerned about as investors.
Perhaps you were given a package by your employer. Perhaps you sold an asset and want to know how to properly invest the proceeds. Perhaps you inherited money and want to keep it safe and grow it if you can. Perhaps you just want a second opinion. These are all reasons for you to take advantage of all of the resources that we at Money Matters have to offer you.
We want to help you to achieve your retirement goals.
Thank you for subscribing to this newsletter. I hope it finds you and yours in good health and spirits.
Ken Moraif, CFP®, MBA